Waverley Borough Council (WBC) has announced a proposal to create a Shepherd and Flock conservation area.
In the 1970s, the Shepherd and Flock roundabout was constructed, enclosing the Shepherd and Flock pub and surrounding houses, cutting them of from the rest of Farnham. WBC propose to designate the area thus enclosed as a conservation area.
Access to the area is by vehicle from the roundabout; on foot via a pedestrian underpass (both from the west); and from Moor Park Lane from the east.
In the late 19th century, the Shepherd and Flock pub stood at what was then the junction of the Farnham to Guildford road, and Moor Park Lane. The former ran from Farnham past Bourne Mill (as it still does), then east up onto the Hogs Back along the route of the Pilgrim’s Way. Moor Park Lane followed the River Wey south eastwards past Mother Ludlam’s Cave to Moor Park House. The lane was used as an access route from Waverley Abbey to Bourne Mill, in the days when it was a working mill.
Moor Park estate extended from Moor Park House as far as the proposed conservation area. The 19th century gate lodge to the estate still stands, next to the bridge where the A31 now passes over Moor Park Lane.
In 1897, the landowner tried to close the lane at that point. Farnham Town Council officials, supported by several hundred local people, forcibly opened the gates in what has become known as the Battle of Moor Park. The lane can still be followed as a public footpath.
As well as the pub and former gate lodge, the area contains two Garde II listed buildings, and one Building of Local Merit.
Details of the proposed conservation area, along with its history and geography can be found at:
A public consultation runs from 2 October until 13 November.