We are one of the largest and oldest conservation and amenity societies (Civic Society). The Society originally started in 1911 from the initiative of Charles Borelli, who was Chairman of what was then the Farnham Urban District Council and Harold Falkner a key local architect. Other original founder members included the Bishop of Winchester, the Head of the Art School, W. H. Allen and George Sturt a prominent local writer about the social history of Farnham. Their vision for the purpose of the Society remains relevant today. In essence to ensure that Farnham remains a great place to live, to work and to visit. And to preserve as far as possible the style and character of the town and its setting as well as celebrate and sustain its heritage despite the pressures of growth and development.
This is a legacy we continue to have as central to our current purpose. Therefore, we promote and campaign for excellence in design and sympathetic, sustainable development, so that the character of the town and in particular its Conservation Areas as well as its many green spaces remain its key feature.